Simple Ways to Improve a Kitchen Pantry
Date: July 16, 2020
People have been spending more time at home in 2020 than in years past, and certain projects around the house have become a priority. One home improvement idea that serves the double benefit of creating organization and making cooking at home more efficient is to reimagine the kitchen pantry.
A pantry is a room or closet where food, beverages and linens or dishes are stored. Pantries can be highly useful spaces that provide ancillary storage in kitchens. Many modern homes are equipped with pantries, but older homes may require some modification to create more useful pantries.
- Maximize vertical storage. Utilizing vertical areas can help increase storage capacity. Build in extra nooks by investing in under shelf storage baskets. These baskets can instantly create designated areas for different types of ingredients.
- Consider your needs. Figure out which items you would like to store in the pantry and then shop for corresponding storage systems.
- Use clear storage. Put ingredients in clear, airtight containers of similar dimensions so that you can easily find items you need. Transfer bulky items, like cereal and baking supplies, to storage containers for uniformity.
- Store bulk items elsewhere. Bulk shopping can be cost efficient, but bulk items can quickly eat up real estate in the pantry.
- Pull out drawers are convenient. Pull out drawers can reduce the need to seek and reach for items.
- Make it accessible. Think about who will be taking items from the pantry. Put children’s snacks on the bottom pantry shelf where they can reach them, and then organize other shelves for adults in the home.
A pantry remodel can add valuable storage space and make one of the busiest rooms in the home operate more efficiently.